Position: Applied Research Director
Location: Montréal, Canada
NewCities is a global non-profit organization committed to shaping a better urban future. NewCities convenes leading events on urban innovation. We conduct pragmatic research on solutions to challenges facing cities, launch initiatives to drive urban progress, and build, empower, and convene a global network in support of our goals. In all of its activities, NewCites works with entrepreneurs and leaders from business, government, academia, civil society, the media and the arts. The Foundation was created in 2010 and is financed by its members and partners, which include some of the most forward-thinking companies who share a passion for the future of our cities. The Foundation is based in Montréal.
Please visit www.newcities.org for more information.
NewCities is looking for an Applied Research Director, passionate about international urban issues to join its team in Montréal. Reporting to the Executive Director, the Applied Research Director, will both manage the design and launch of research projects, and will also be the lead researcher in many such projects.
The position will be based in the Foundation’s head office in Montréal.
Full time position: 30 hours per week.
- Undertake the Foundation’s research projects, including daily project management, budget monitoring, monitoring, conducting in-depth research and report writing;
- Develop and write new research initiatives related to the Foundation’s fields of engagement;
- Develop and write presentations to pitch project ideas to potential partners and funders;
- Oversee the development of research proposals that speak to the Foundation’s members’ needs and objectives;
- Participate in pitching and fundraising effort for research and urban innovations;
- Identifying key funders (corporate, charitable, government) who would be interested in funding the proposed project ideas;
- Explore new funding sources for research projects;
- Acts as an official representative of NewCities at strategic gatherings;
- Conduct in depth-research around specific urban topics through data analysis, interviews process with key urban experts, industry trends analysis;
- Write, edit, revise reports in policy, technology and financing for private and public sector members;
- Regularly interact with various subject matter experts, including engineering, real estate, transportation, architectural, environmental, and finance experts in order to produce useful action-oriented reports;
- Ensure report materials are consistent with NewCities’ standards, meeting the style requirements, and are written at an appropriate level for the intended audience;
- Ensure any research reports are written in a concise manner, in a neutral tone and are accessible for a wide diverse audience;
- Analyse and develop key urban challenges to be addressed in our events and training programs;
- Lead the preparation of NewCities’ masterclasses, (study the topic and prepare the guidelines to be delivered to clients);
- Oversee competition (startup and design) projects on behalf of NewCities, define competitions’ criteria, categories and applications processes;
- Act as the host and facilitator at international experts meetings and workshops on specific urban topics during NewCities’ events;
- Working closely with the Foundation’s communication team to ensure the research initiatives and competition are widely covered in the media;
- Amplify the Foundation’s work and communication campaigns by writing articles, participating in media interviews, speaking at external events.
Required Skills and Qualifications:
- Bachelor or Master’s degree required in Urban Studies, Social Sciences, Journalism or related field
- 5 years’ experience in project management, or innovation, research, urbanism, technology. Experience in international relations is mandatory and experience in business development is a plus.
- Excellent research, analytical and writing skills including experience in conducting qualitative and quantitative research, analysis and report on specific urban topics is mandatory
- A developed voice and experience in publishing articles on urban issues in mainstream media
- Experience in facilitating experts meetings and workshops on urban topics during international thought leadership events.
- Experience in conducting international competitions (design and start-up)
- Excellent communicator with ease on stage with a global multi-sectoral audience
- Ability to work in a team as well as independently
- Diplomatic, able to handle sensitive relationships
- Demonstrated ability to build and maintain sound relationships with representatives from public and private sectors at the international level
- Dynamic, proactive, creative, flexible
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Fluent in English
Please send a CV and a detailed cover letter or email by April 30, 2019 to jobs@newcities. org with ‘Applied Research Director’ in the subject line.