Position: Communication and Media Relations Manager
Location: Montréal, Canada
About the NewCities Foundation
NewCities is a global non-profit organization committed to shaping a better urban future.
NewCities convenes leading events on urban innovation, including the annual NewCities Summit. We conduct pragmatic research on solutions to challenges facing cities, launch initiatives to drive urban progress, and build, empower, and convene a global network in support of our goals. In all of its activities, NewCites works with entrepreneurs and leaders from business, government, academia, civil society, the media and the arts. The Foundation was created in 2010 and is financed by its members and partners, which include some of the most forward-thinking companies who share a passion for the future of our cities. The Foundation is based in Montréal, Canada.
Please visit www.newcities.org for more information.
NewCities is looking for a communication specialist passionate about international urban issues to join its team in Montréal, Canada.
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Communication and Media Relations Manager will have the overall responsibility of our media campaigns, content creation, social media channels and relationships management with international journalists.
The position will be based in the Foundation’s head office in Montréal.
This is a fantastic opportunity to help us shape the urban future, working in a stimulating multicultural environment.
- Design and take ownership of NewCities’ communications strategy and development; run the implementation of this strategy;
- Design and manage the editorial features of NewCities, the Big Picture (identifying key topics to address, reaching out to relevant contributors, etc.);
- Tell NewCities’ story with passion and clarity to global media with a view to increasing positive press coverage around our initiatives (this includes our events, our annual NewCities Summit, our programs and research projects, and our outlook on the issues we care about);
- Develop and manage the media campaign for all NewCities initiatives and ensure they are widely covered in the media;
- Lead the development and use of a comprehensive NewCities communications toolkit aimed at a diverse audience of current and potential Foundation Members; as well as global and local media;
- Build positive and productive relationships with key global media partners and journalists as well as communication professionals;
- Work hand in hand with all communications teams in member or partner organizations, including writing press releases to announce new partnerships and other newsworthy collaborative initiatives;
- Keep social media channels alive with inspiring, intelligent content and engage with online audiences.
- Identify speaking opportunities for NewCities staff in the urban development, governance, technology and innovations space;
- Identify and secure opportunities to write op-eds and other thought leadership pieces in major media outlets and assist with drafting these texts, working with key NewCities program staff.
Required skills and qualifications
- Bachelor’s or Master degree in media, communications, public affairs, urban affairs, political science or a related field;
- Minimum 5 years of relevant public relations, communications and social media management experience;
- An excellent communicator with outstanding English language skills both written and oral. French is an asset;
- Demonstrated contacts in the global media and ability to engage the media in a substantive and meaningful way;
- Experience working internationally is an asset;
- Experience working in events and brand management is a plus;
- Ability to deliver results;
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail;
- Open-minded and interested in global issues;
- Driven by the desire to make a difference. Passionate about social change;
- Willingness to learn in a dynamic corporate culture;
Please send a CV and a detailed cover letter by July 31, 2018 to firstname.lastname@example.org with ‘Communication and Media Relations Manager’ in the subject line.
Applicants must be authorized to work in Canada.