Position: Communications Officer
Location: Montréal, Canada
NewCities is a global non-profit committed to shaping a better urban future. NewCities seeks the most progressive and innovative ideas to drive positive changes in cities large and small through events, research and urban innovation projects. NewCities creates a global dialogue and curates cutting-edge knowledge on the world’s most progressive urban issues to generate and scale ideas and solutions. The organization works with leaders from business, government, academia, civil society, the media and the arts.
For more information visit www.newcities.org.
NewCities is seeking a communications specialist passionate about international urban issues to join its team in Montréal. The successful candidate will lead corporate and digital communication activities, working directly with NewCities members including Cisco, CITI, ENGIE and Transdev.
Reporting to the Senior Communications and Media Relations Manager, s/he will work closely with communication colleagues as well as the wider NewCities team.
This is a fantastic opportunity for a junior communications professional to work in a dynamic team and across multiple communication disciplines, including social media, digital, publications, public relations, marketing, event and corporate communications.
Hours per week: 40 (core office hours are 9.00am – 6.00pm Monday to Friday).
- Managing the NewCities fortnightly thought leadership editorial: the Big Picture including working with partners to agree angles, identifying and liaising with contributors, managing the online publication process on the NewCities website, and promoting the editorials.
- Managing the NewCities fortnightly newsletter including sourcing content, preparing the newsletter in MailChimp, and distributing to stakeholders.
- Write briefs and talking points for senior leadership team speaking at events.
- Digital communications
- Curating inspiring, intelligent and engaging social media content on the NewCities Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn pages.
- Supported by the wider NewCities team, ensure the NewCities website is up to date. This will involve updating existing and creating new webpages via WordPress.
- Assist the Creative Director with design tasks including developing marketing material using Adobe Photoshop & Illustrator (including social media graphics)
- Produce weekly media summary reports of key urban issues.
- Write press releases, pitch stories to journalists and work with journalists at high profile international events.
- Assist the Senior Communications and Media Relations Manager to curate bespoke media lists relevant to particular NewCities projects.
- Produce monthly reports that captures NewCities digital footprint through our website, social media, newsletter, and Big Picture editorials.
- Educated to degree level, or with equivalent professional experience.
- Fully fluent English-French is a key requirement.
- Strong experience in developing, implementing and evaluating social media campaigns.
- Experience of producing creative, yet practical, communications material within agreed timeframes and to effectively achieve agreed objectives.
- Experience of using Adobe Creative Suite, specifically Adobe Photoshop & Adobe Illustrator.
- Experience of working with WordPress (or other CMS platforms) and HTML.
- Experience working on international events is desirable.
- Action oriented with good initiative and strong organization skills with high attention to detail.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, with the ability to work with all levels of an organization and influence beyond line management boundaries.
- Open minded, an eagerness to learn, and an interest in urban design.
All candidates must be eligible to work in Québec.
How to apply
Please send your CV and a supporting statement addressing each of the criterion above (in English) to email@example.com and with the subject line “Communication Officer position”.
Please note, we will be reviewing applications as we receive them, however the final deadline is Wednesday June 5 (8.00am EST).
For any questions about the position, please don’t hesitate to contact Ashlee Biggs, Senior Communications and Media Relations Manager via firstname.lastname@example.org.