Position: Director of Events
Location: Montréal, Canada
Founded in 2010, NewCities is an international, independent nonprofit committed to shaping a better urban future. We have years of experience curating and producing some of the most innovative content in the world about key emerging urban trends. We do this through our events, our knowledge-sharing platforms, and actionable research. NewCities brings a ‘whole-city’ approach – we convene and connect what we see as a team: the residents, governments, academic institutions, civil society organizations, and business communities of a city. Our activities are inspired and supported by our global network of members, who share their expertise and insights with us to determine the most pressing topics in cities.
For more information visit www.newcities.org.
NewCities is looking for an experienced, dynamic and committed events professional to join its team in Montréal. The Director of Events will manage the design, fundraising and implementation of all of the NewCities events (4+ per year).
The position will be based in the Foundation’s head office in Montréal.
This is a fantastic opportunity to help us shape the urban future, working in a stimulating multi-cultural environment.
Event Proposal Development and Fundraising (50%)
- Work closely with the Chairman and Executive Director to design annual calendar of events based on key objectives for the year
- Determine and build key partnerships for each event, both with host cities and external organizations
- Build event proposals and design fundraising packages
- Lead outreach and fundraising efforts, in order to see each event launch
- Manage sensitive and important relationships with sponsors, high-level executives and city leaders
Event Program Management (50%)
- Design high-level speaker programs for all NewCities events
- Ideate new event formats in order to improve our impact and participants’ experience
- Maintain an active database of potential ideas, speakers, participants, themes, formats for events
- Oversee the program team (2 staff), managing the program design and speaker invitation process and guest registration process
- Ensure our events attract a high-level and global audience
- Working closely with the Foundation’s event production partner, oversee all logistical aspects related to the events
- Manage event budgets, including travel and logistical budgets for team and speakers
- Work closely with the NewCities’ Communications team to attract participants and garner maximum press coverage for each event
- Bachelors or Master’s degree in a relevant field (ex: Communications, Urban Affairs, International Affairs)
- At least 4 full years of experience in international events management
- Proven experience in fundraising and client management
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- Outstanding communication skills including both verbal and written English (mother tongue English preferred); additional languages (Arabic, French) a plus
- Able to implement an event strategy across diverse regions and cultures
- Results driven, self-motivated
- Open minded and interested in global issues
- Willingness to learn
- Willingness to travel overseas
What you would get:
- Competitive salary
- Access to health, dental and vision insurance
- Generous vacation policy
How to apply:
Please send a CV and a detailed cover letter or email by August 13, 2019 to email@example.com with ‘Director of Events’ in the subject line.