Communications and Media Relations Manager
Position: Communications and Media Relations Manager
Location: Montréal, Canada
Founded in 2010, NewCities is an international, independent nonprofit committed to shaping a better urban future. We have years of experience curating and producing some of the most innovative content in the world about key emerging urban trends. We do this through our events, our knowledge-sharing platforms, and actionable research. NewCities brings a ‘whole-city’ approach – we convene and connect what we see as a team: the residents, governments, academic institutions, civil society organizations, and business communities of a city. Our activities are inspired and supported by our global network of members, who share their expertise and insights with us to determine the most pressing topics in cities.
For more information visit www.newcities.org.
NewCities is looking for a communication specialist passionate about international urban issues to join its team in Montréal.
Reporting to the Chief Operating Officer, the Manager is responsible for developing and implementing the overarching integrated communications strategy, which encompasses marketing communications, project campaigns, media management, and social media.
The post holder line manages the Communications Officer who is responsible for delivering the content through the Big Picture, global newsletter, and social media channels.
The position will be based in the Foundation’s head office in Montréal. This is a fantastic opportunity to help us shape the urban future, working in a stimulating,emergent and exciting environment.
Hours per week: 40 (core office hours are 9.00am – 6.00pm Monday to Friday).
- Actively contribute to developing and building NewCities strategy
- Design and deliver a communications strategy to support NewCities by increasing audience reach, brand recognition, and reputation within the urban sphere.
- Working with the Communications Officer, have overall responsibility for the development of high quality, coherent, manageable, and creative content through the Big Picture, global newsletter, and social media.
- Support the Communications Officer’s production of the Big Picture – which includes identifying key topics, activating members to get involved, curating engaging and meaningful content, and ensuring the editorials are widely promoted and reach the target audiences.
- Support the Communications Officer in their management of regular and engagement content through NewCities’ Twitter, Facebook, and Linkedin pages.
- Support the Communications Officer in the content curation of the fortnightly global newsletter.
Media and marketing campaigns
- Strategically expand NewCities global media networks to increase coverage and strengthen relationships with journalists and media outlets.
- Work hand in hand with member communications teams or partner organizations to develop and release press releases to announce new partnerships and other newsworthy collaborative initiatives.
- Manage the marketing and media campaign to support NewCities portfolios, namely:
- The annual Wellbeing City Award – expanding on the 2019 efforts in anticipation of the re-launch of the 2020 Award in the fall.
- The Millennial Metric – a research project led in collaboration with NewCities member Ivanhoé Cambridge and will include the publication of a report and possible event.
- New Urban Champions – including bespoke learning expedition events.
- Identify and secure appropriate events for NewCities staff and possible key members to speak at keynote and panel sessions in the urban development, governance, technology and innovations space.
- Educated to degree level, or with equivalent experience. A relevant degree in commerce, media, communications, public affairs or political science would be of an advantage.
- Significant relevant international experience, preferably in the urban sector, at both a strategic and operational level and with a strong track record of successful delivery of projects under time pressure and to agreed objectives.
- Experience of leading and managing teams in complex and evolving environments – s/he must be a supportive people manager with a well-developed ability to motivate teams and individuals to deliver agreed objectives.
- An excellent communicator with outstanding English language skills both written and oral. French is an asset.
- Demonstrable contacts in the global media and ability to engage the media in a substantive and meaningful way.
- A good understanding of best practice in digital communication, including websites, intranets, e-marketing, and social media.
- Creative, yet practical and highly organized with the ability to turn good ideas into action and deliver against agreed objectives.
- An understanding and experience of brand management.
- Experience of managing communications and marketing activities for small and large scale events.
- Experience working in a non-profit sector or start-up company/organization.
What you would get:
- Competitive salary
- Access to health, dental and vision insurance
- Generous vacation policy
How to apply
Please send your CV and a cover letter (in English) to firstname.lastname@example.org and with the subject line “Communications and Media Relations Manager position”.
Please note, we are reviewing applications as we receive them.
For any questions about the position, please don’t hesitate to contact Stéphanie Grandperret, Chief Operating Officer via email@example.com.