Senior Communications and Media Relations Manager
Position: Senior Communications and Media Relations Manager
Location: Montréal, Canada
NewCities is a global non-profit committed to shaping a better urban future. NewCities seeks the most progressive and innovative ideas to drive positive changes in cities large and small through events, research and urban innovation projects. NewCities creates a global dialogue and curates cutting-edge knowledge on the world’s most progressive urban issues to generate and scale ideas and solutions. The organization works with leaders from business, government, academia, civil society, the media and the arts.
For more information visit www.newcities.org.
NewCities is looking for a senior communication specialist passionate about international urban issues to join its team in Montréal.
Reporting to the Director of Applied Research and the Chief Operating Officer, the Senior Manager is responsible for developing and implementing the overarching integrated communications strategy, which encompasses marketing communications, project campaigns, media management, and social media.
The post holder line manages the Creative Director who is responsible for NewCities’ website development and creative graphic design. The post holder also line manages the Communications Officer who is responsible for delivering the content through the Big Picture, global newsletter, and social media channels.
The position will be based in the Foundation’s head office in Montréal. This is a fantastic opportunity to help us shape the urban future, working in a stimulating,emergent and exciting environment.
Hours per week: 40 (core office hours are 9.00am – 6.00pm Monday to Friday).
- Actively contribute to developing and building NewCities strategy
- Design and deliver a communications strategy to support NewCities by increasing audience reach, brand recognition, and reputation within the urban sphere.
- Working with the Communications Officer, have overall responsibility for the development of high quality, coherent, manageable, and creative content through the Big Picture, global newsletter, and social media.
- Support the Communications Officer’s production of the Big Picture – which includes identifying key topics, activating members to get involved, curating engaging and meaningful content, and ensuring the editorials are widely promoted and reach the target audiences.
- Support the Communications Officer in their management of regular and engagement content through NewCities’ Twitter, Facebook, and Linkedin pages.
- Support the Communications Officer in the content curation of the fortnightly global newsletter.
Media and marketing campaigns
- Strategically expand NewCities global media networks to increase coverage and strengthen relationships with journalists and media outlets.
- Work hand in hand with member communications teams or partner organizations to develop and release press releases to announce new partnerships and other newsworthy collaborative initiatives.
- Manage the marketing and media campaign to support NewCities portfolios, namely:
- The annual Wellbeing City Award – expanding on the 2019 efforts in anticipation of the re-launch of the 2020 Award in the fall.
- The Millennial Metric – a research project led in collaboration with NewCities member Ivanhoé Cambridge and will include the publication of a report and possible event.
- New Urban Champions – including bespoke learning expedition events.
- Identify and secure appropriate events for NewCities staff and possible key members to speak at keynote and panel sessions in the urban development, governance, technology and innovations space.
- Educated to degree level, or with equivalent experience. A relevant degree in commerce, media, communications, public affairs or political science would be of an advantage.
- Significant relevant international experience, preferably in the urban sector, at both a strategic and operational level and with a strong track record of successful delivery of projects under time pressure and to agreed objectives.
- Experience of leading and managing teams in complex and evolving environments – s/he must be a supportive people manager with a well-developed ability to motivate teams and individuals to deliver agreed objectives.
- An excellent communicator with outstanding English language skills both written and oral. French is an asset.
- Demonstrable contacts in the global media and ability to engage the media in a substantive and meaningful way.
- A good understanding of best practice in digital communication, including websites, intranets, e-marketing, and social media.
- Creative, yet practical and highly organized with the ability to turn good ideas into action and deliver against agreed objectives.
- An understanding and experience of brand management.
- Experience of managing communications and marketing activities for small and large scale events.
- Experience working in a non-profit sector or start-up company/organization.
What you would get:
- Competitive salary
- Access to health, dental and vision insurance
- Generous vacation policy
How to apply
Please send your CV and a cover letter (in English) to email@example.com and with the subject line “Senior Communications and Media Relations Manager position”.
Please note, we will be reviewing applications as we receive them, however the final deadline is Tuesday 5 July (8.00am EST).
Shortlisted applicants will be notified by July 5. Interviews will be held on Monday July 8 in Montréal and involve a written task.
For any questions about the position, please don’t hesitate to contact Stéphanie Grandperret, Chief Operating Officer via firstname.lastname@example.org.