Call For Applicants: NewCities Fellowship
AI and Healthy Cities Fellowship
Deadline to apply: April 6, 2021
NewCities is hiring a senior expert passionate about artificial intelligence, healthy cities, and public policy as a consultant for a project we are launching with one of our partners, a Task force on AI and Healthy Cities.
The Fellow will consult on key related topics, stakeholders, and trends.
The Fellow will produce a practical handbook on the learnings of the initiative which will include policy recommendations and case studies from two local governments on how AI has been used to improve urban population health in cities.
About the Task force on AI and Healthy Cities
The last year has seen unprecedented health challenges in global cities due to the Covid-19 pandemic. Now more than ever, it is imperative cities employ all the tools at their disposal. Cities can help each other face their common challenges while embracing innovative solutions and sharing best practices.
Artificial Intelligence is transforming the urban health landscape. Given both the promise of AI to support public health and the perils of algorithmic bias and other flaws, its critical policymakers possess the technological literacy necessary to evaluate the risks and rewards of AI.
NewCities and its partner propose a new, robust global platform for catalyzing collaborative and beneficial exchanges between city- and state governments to best leverage and attract AI innovation for improving the health and wellbeing of urban populations.
The initiative will launch with workshops and co-creation exercises on basic AI literacy for policymakers, exploration of the existing opportunities and future possibilities, and analysis of real-life case studies. We will not only engage public health officials and healthcare experts, but also the broader ecosystem of innovation, economic development, and other relevant urban stakeholders to participate and bring forth their ideas to promote and attract innovations in urban health.
We intend to provide an exchange between cities for the cross-fertilization of successful solutions and a set of policy recommendations that showcase the key learnings and tools for governments around the world on how to attract and retain the companies, researchers, and leading thinkers on using AI to build healthy cities. The main target audience will be city and state government representatives, with contributions from subject-matter experts.
The Fellow will have the opportunity to work closely with NewCities, two local governments officials, and other multi sectoral stakeholders. The Fellow will advise on the topic and important players in the field to support workshops and co-creation activities that engage the governments and other stakeholders. The Fellow will write a handbook summarizing the findings from these activities and including case studies and best practices around policy and the many ways AI can be used to improve urban population health.
Responsibilities and Timeline:
The AI and Healthy Cities initiative will last for 5-6 months, from mid-April 2021 to September 2021. The project is divided in two parts:
ADVISE ON ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE IN CITIES (Mid-April to June 2021 – 25% of the scope):
- Support the organizations in the development of workshops and activities with the government officials (advising on additional key players to invite, key questions to address)
- Serve as one of the facilitators of the exercises
- Collaborate with NewCities team to ensure data and summaries are collected (to be used in the report)
- Begin preparation of practical handbook outline based on the summary findings of the exercises and supplemental research
ADVISE, RESEARCH, AND WRITE HANDBOOK TO BE PUBLISHED (June to September 2021 – 75% of the scope):
- Produce a practical handbook to further ideate the solutions and recommendations identified during the workshops most fitted to the government’s needs.
- The handbook will include analysis of specific, real-life case studies as used in the exercises, best practices from the two local governments, and public policy recommendations to enable the use of AI to improve urban population health and build healthy cities
- Write the handbook and integrate feedback from the NewCities’ team and the partner’s team
- Deliver the final handbook by early September 2021
Profile we are looking for:
- Proven research interest, higher education in, and expertise in AI and its intersections with cities, urban population health, policymaking, and the public sector
- Have been published widely in AI, technology, public policy or health
- Training and experience in qualitative research methods
- Ability to analyze and research complex ideas, concepts and public policies, and suggest concrete recommendations
- Experience liaising with representatives from public and private sectors at the international level
- Excellent research, analytical and writing skills
- Knowledge of the context in Canada and/or Brazil is a plus
- Fluency in English is mandatory
- Consulting contract. The Fellow will be based in his/her home country or hosting academic institution.
- Competitive compensation depending on experience
How to apply
Please send your CV with a list of publications and a link to at least one publicly accessible writing sample (in english) to email@example.com with ‘AI and Healthy Cities fellowship’’ in the subject line by March 26, 2021. Please note we are reviewing applications as they come in.