Artificial Intelligence and the City
urbAIn is a series of unique, one-day events gathering 100-150 city leaders and innovators to explore how artificial intelligence (AI) can and will transform our cities. Our next urbAIn event will take place in Toronto on January 15, 2019.
Tech companies big and small are coming up with new AI-based solutions that could transform urban life in all aspects: mobility, health, civic engagement, placemaking and energy management, among others.
Some cities, from Dubai to Hangzhou, are clearly positioning themselves as future AI-driven cities. But the reality is that few local governments are actually using the AI tools at our disposal in their daily management and operations. Why? Because deploying AI tools requires in-depth multi-sectoral partnership – and these important conversations are yet to take place.
For cities to truly engage with and embrace these innovations, we need to first demonstrate the opportunities that lay in AI, design a framework of implementation, and bring the necessary actors into the conversation.
The key objectives of our global series urbAIn are:
- Exploring the potential benefits and barriers of AI in cities;
- Creating a space for tech companies, city managers, civil society, and academics to work hand in hand for better implementation of these tools;
- Design a framework to test and implement AI solutions at the city scale.
The series will dive into some of the most pressing issues related to AI and cities, including:
- How can cities and citizens trust that their data is safe?
- What regulations are needed to integrate AI in city services?
- How can AI be used to foster citizen engagement and participation?
- How do we create the “sandbox” to test and deploy AI pilot projects?
- How can we ensure AI works for social good and promotes equity?
The first edition of our urbAIn series took place on March 27, 2018 in Montreal, Canada. Click here for more information about the event’s program.
Support this Initiative
If you would like to join us in this conversation about artificial intelligence and the city, there are partnership, hosting, media and sponsorship opportunities available. For more information, please reach out to Esther Perrin, Project Coordinator at NewCities: firstname.lastname@example.org.